Nov 20, 2009

Sew-n-Tell Friday

The Good, the Bad, and the . . . .


Actually, there is no ugly, unless you count the cold I seem to be finally catching (and maybe the state of my house at the end of the week).

Anywho, let's start with the GOOD--this sweet block from the Scrappy Christmas Block Swap came clear from England! I have a pair of teddy bear blocks in classic Christmas colors, and since none of my swapped pairs go with each other, I've quilted these two into mini quilts, just right for a candle or candy dish. Rafael's Mum did a beautiful piecing job, which my quilting made a little wonky, but I think my friend in Japan will just love this little table topper.


Next, I have two doll quilts for her daughters, fluffy bunnies, fluffy batting, and plenty of ric rac. I finished these last spring, but now they're ready to go into a box and sail across the ocean.

With 2 boys, I love having little girlfriends for whom to sew! And, I'm thrilled to have this package ready--I often miss deadlines when it comes to Christmas, and this wonderful lady was my 16 year old's first baby sitter when she was a Japanese student here in Iowa. She didn't know he could crawl for 2 weeks because she usually held him the entire time I was teaching! She is a sweetheart and a great mom.

Now for the BAD --none of these things can be crossed off my list of UFOs to complete for the JOY Challenge or even off my list of Christmas gift must-haves--because they weren't ever on  a list!

Where is my sense of priority? 
Where is my self-discipline? 
(Just possibly I have never possessed these 2 gifts.) I admit, finishing is the hardest part for me, and right now I REALLY want to start a completely new project--which would be totally insane. Oh well, I am who I am.

Instead, if I manage to spend a couple hours this morning cleaning the bathroom and grocery shopping, I will give myself some sewing time this afternoon, finishing up my November Swap quilty. It's been  a lot of fun to work on so far, but no show until my partner receives it! I hope to get it in the mail by Monday.

Check out more Sew-n-Tell Fridays here!

Gratitudes
  • The sun continues to shine in Iowa in November
  • I have the entire day off! First Friday in weeks
  • I am blessed to be able to spend time making things I love for people I love. Wouldn't life be boring otherwise?

13 comments:

Lesly (aka Shadrach Meshach and Abednego) said...

Can't you go back and edit your list to add some of those projects? Then you will feel even more virtuous! Thanks for sharing - have a great weekend!

Dee said...

and the bunnies! love the bunnies!

thank you for sharing such sweetness...we have three boys here...I know, I know. what were we thinking? LOL

enjoy the sunshine!
blessings!

The Tripp Family said...

oh no, I'm getting a cold too! I am taking Zucol and it seemed to stop it in its tracks, though. Sometimes, if I finish something that wasn't on my list, I put it on my list so I can cross it off... and have a record of what I've done all day - sometimes I feel like I've gotten nothing done, but I really have. I love how you always include your gratitudes! We can always find something to be thankful for!!

Sara said...

Hope you feel better soon...And, I like your gratitudes at the end of your post....

I might have to steal that...

Karen said...

I love the doll quilts. I would have loved one when I was a little girl. I am hoping t o make a couple next year. Thanks for sharing.

Pokey said...

These little quilts are sweet. Hey, who doesn't like to start a new project?

ktquilts said...

The bunnies are too cute!!!! Enjoyed seeing your finish even if it wasn't on your To Do list. I have a good friend that reminds me ever so often that To Do rhymes with DOO DOO!!!

Enjoy your sewing!!
Blessings,
KT

Sew It Up! said...

The bunnies are just too cute! I so would make myself a pair of jammies with that fabric.

amylouwho said...

You can never have too much ric rac in my opinion!

Oh and as far as finishing and self-discipline! I'm right there with you!

Heather said...

The Christmas block is beautiful, and the bunnies are precious! When I finish something NOT on the list, I just add it to the list and then cross it off. LoL Makes me feel much better. ;o)

Rene' said...

Hope you feel better soon. Not a good time of year to get a cold...too much to do. Thanks for sharing your projects...I so get the finishing things not on my list...I agree with Heather..add it ..then delete it.

Leslie said...

i always want to start a new project....leaving me to never get anything done. these finishes are great

Rafael's Mum said...

Hi!! Only just catching up after having been away... it's so funny... first I saw the post I thought.. AHA, someone else at least is quilting with traditional colours... Then thought.. That bear looks familiar..., those fabrics look familiar... I realized it was my block! I looked at the title ... "The Good, the Bad and the...." insert photo of my block. Mmmmm... you know I was quite insecure sending those traditional blocks in.. It was fabric I had bought here. That's just about all you get here.. But I thought everyone elses was sooo much nicer... I am glad you actually did include me in "the good".. thank you very much! That cheered me up a little again!It actually looks way better with your quilting. Great job! (having been working on my mum's quilt I haven't done anything with mine yet... waaaay behind!)