May 21, 2010

Sneak Peek

Sew & Tell Friday















Hmmm. . . which swap partner do you think will like these? Inspired by Oh, Fransson's Rick Rack block, I started with the yellow and blue scraps. After looking for some dots (to be like Elizabeth), I found this great cherry fabric from Robert Kaufman--my partner LOVES cherries (or so she says).

Anyhow, turns out this classic square within a square block is not so simple to keep square--the rick rack adds just enough bulk. So I cut the yellow one a bit wonky after the 2nd round--to cover up embracing the natural process instead of fighting it. Yeah, that's why. I just love this fresh look.

Today I will finish up this mini and get started on the "Wish You Were Here" swap--too many ideas for that one! I have the entire day to myself!

Check back Monday for a giveaway celebrating 75 posts!

Graitudes
  • Blessed by an impressive school orchestra concert--don't my boys look sharp! The music was truly beautiful, too. Their teacher really loves these kids.
  • Our cat, Chin, returned Sunday after 32 days missing! A little on the skinny side, but otherwise in good shape. Everyone except the dog is thrilled!
  • So proud of all the new graduates--we've been making the rounds of receptions--many of these kids were in my Sunday School classes years ago. They have grown up to be so poised and respectful and fun. Next year our oldest DS will join their ranks (is that a tear rolling down my cheek?).
Check out all the other great Sew & Tells over at Amy's--just click on the button in the sidebar!



9 comments:

ktquilts said...

Great blocks!!! I love the cherries!

Blessings,

KT

Nicole said...

I LOVE cherries! What a cute little block.

Paulette said...

The cherry blocks are so cute, and I like the slightly wonky look. Those are some nice-looking young men there.

Kristen said...

I love the rick rack. You always have nice projects going. Thank goodness you got your cat back!

Leslie said...

the ric rac just takes these blocks right over the top. i love them.

Sarah Craig said...

Looks like you took lemons (oops, cherries) and made lemonade, or perhaps cherryade! Smart idea to make the squares wonky! Much better than fighting the inevitable!

Heather said...

Beautiful blocks! And good-looking boys you have there, too. ;o) Love your gratitude list. So happy for you that your kitty came home!

Dayna said...

I love the fresh look, too!

Jeanette said...

sooooooo glad your kitty came home!

And handsome boys. What do they play? I'm a french horn girl myself. Best of both worlds, I could be in the band AND in the orchestra(although I prefer orchestra).

And I love love love the blocks! The vintage sheet quilt you took your inspiration from is one of my all time favorite quilts. I often pull that picture up on my computer and just stare at it. I am so glad you chose that quilt to inspire you. And of course you can never go wrong with cherries! I can tell already that I am going to absolutely love it.

I have been dawdling on finishing up your quilt. It is the very first quilt made on my new sewing machine. It was so nice to just be able to sit down and quilt it and not have to pack up the kids and head to mom's house to use her machine. I am a little attached to your little quilt I am afraid. I am having a hard time letting it go, but I know it will be well loved and cared for when it gets to you. Hopefully very soon!